Friday, December 5, 2008

A quick response to all Rick Astley fans

Dear disgruntled Rick Astley fans;

I am amused you have taken such an interest in a column that runs on the inside of the D section in our newspaper; I write it once a week for fun and a free Gamefly account. Occasionally I'll deviate and talk about other technology-related issues.

I say this to give you some context; I don't feel one way or the other about Mr. Astley, his music or his loyal fan base. And if you object to my characterization of him as a "one hit wonder," I defy you to walk up to any person on the street and have them name another famous Astley song.

Much of his online press actively touts "Never Gonna Give You Up" as his best-known work. Just because there's a few of you that can sing his whole catalog backwards, doesn't mean my assessment of things was inaccurate.

This isn't about journalism. This is my opinion. I wasn't making a judgment about Rick Astley as a person. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he can carry a tune. I was just trying to find a marker for determining when a stupid Internet phenomenon, such as Rickrolling, is officially dead.

Astley's cheesy music is what made the Rickroll meme so successful in the first place.

So, again: lighten up and don't take what some columnist at a small Alabama newspaper says personally.

And for the fan who referred to me as a "hick." I found a surprising number of Astley fans were unfamiliar with some of the basic rules of grammar based on the comments left on the column. I guess all my days reading Elements of Style after long-nights of cow-tipping really paid off.

- Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The level of professionalism you use in this little column of yours leaves little to be desired. Yes I know now that I have given my "opinion" it will give you yet one more thing the rant and ramble about. Glad to be of service to you now maybe you'll leave that other poor person alone. -Peace