Thursday, April 3, 2008

Non-Wiimote controls limited for Mario Kart Wii


Our friends at Joystiq have posted an article about the different control schemes for Mario Kart Wii. The game will ship with a wheel "shell" that holds the Wii-Remote, allowing for a more "realistic" karting experience. Unfortunately, it seems that the player will gain limited control if they opt to use a Classic Controller or Gamecube pad.

Fans of alternate Wii control schemes were obviously psyched when it was revealed that Mario Kart Wii would support a variety of control methods, including the Wii Classic Controller and Gamecube pad. But those fans might want to scale back their expectations, as an updated game fact sheet (posted on Nintendo's press site) claims that players who don't use the Wii Remote schemes will not be able to perform "certain moves" and "some maneuvers."


You can read the rest of the article here. I really like the Wii-mote, but this news is not favorable. Nintendo should strive to keep the control schemes consistant across the board. I would much rather play a game like Mario Kart with my Wavebird. Hopefully the things left out aren't significant, so I can do just that.

2 comments:

Dan Whisenhunt said...

I love the alternate control modes on "Brawl," but some were better than others. I can't imagine what would be so different between the cube controllers and the wheel and classic mote set up.

Hope you can cope. I may very well get suckered into buying the wheel...

Chris Pittman said...

I will definitely give the wheel a shot when I first get the game.

I applaud Nintendo for giving us multiple controller options, but I wish they would be consistent across the board. I know that there will be times when I just want to chill on the couch with a Wavebird in my paws instead of the wheel. I do tend to get rather lazy at times. :)

I really think the omissions will be minor though.