Got this e-mail from VGChartz.com
I recently wrote a big article on 2007 sales in the USA and Canada, which is the vast majority of what we call the Americas. Within the document, you will find publisher totals, platform sales by month, global hardware sales, and data on where sales from top publishers came from for the fourth quarter, the final six months of 2007, and the entire year. I've also included the top ten titles overall for 2007, as well as top titles for Wii, DS, PS3, PSP, PS2, and Xbox 360. Unfortunately, by dividing the article up to make it fit, no one was able to see it in its full form. Therefore, I am sending it out to all of you to read, and comment on. Whether you agree or disagree with the sentiment in the article, it is provocative, and we want it out there for everyone. Feel free to quote the article directly as a standalone piece, or for your own commentary so long as you cite that I wrote it. Also, make sure to use the links provided in each of the seven sections to show where the item is posted on VGChartz for any direct quotation.
VGChartz Senior Analyst
Here are some key points from the article-
- Nintendo, even removing Wii Play and Wii Sports, was the top publisher in the Americas this year.
- The top ten publishers in the Americas sold over 159 million pieces of software in 2007 – accounting for over 80% of all software sold.
- DS was the top hardware in the Americas this year, selling over 10 million units. Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, PSP, PS3 and GBA followed – each selling between 1 and 8 million units.
- Software on Xbox 360 outsold all other platforms.
- The top ten publishers sold nearly 75 million pieces of software in the fourth quarter (running from October to December).
I'll read this some more and digest it- but it looks interesting.