Monday, December 10, 2007

Tom Brokaw calls video games, blogs Cancerous

Signs the icons of yesterday are getting old and cranky: NBC anchor Tom Brokaw calls blogs, video games cancerous.

Brokaw made his comments in a townhall radio interview regarding the mall Massacre in Omaha, Nebraska. (Transcript below.)

Brokaw made his comments while defending NBC's decision to run video footage of the Virginia Tech killer.

Very tired defense- blame blogs and video games. I may be in the minority of journalists who think NBC made the wrong decision by airing these tapes, instead of turning everything over to the FBI. I think it glorified this type of act and inspired people like guy who shot up the mall in Nebraska.

After all, the killers suicide note said:

"Now I'll be famous."

Wonder where he got that idea....

Here's the interview.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Tom Brokaw On Violence
Posted by: Hugh Hewitt at 6:42 PM
In light of the massacre in Omaha, Nebraska, the exchange I had with Tom Brokaw on violence, Virginia Tech and NBC, is sadly relevant today. The transcript of the entire interview is here. This is the relevant portion of the discussion:




HH: All right, last question, and I’ll let you go as long as you want on this. I’m not trying to ambush you.

TB: Of course you are.

HH: No, I’m not. It’s a very interesting question. NBC ran the Virginia Tech killer tape on the day they obtained it. Steve Capus, Brian Williams made that decision. Did they make the right decision?

TB: Yeah, they did.

HH: Do you not think it’s going to incite other people to try to do the same thing?

TB: No, I don’t. I think…to get back to something we were talking about earlier in general thematic terms, I don’t think we’re doing a very good job about talking about violence in this country, either. You know, Virginia Tech went away. We didn’t have any ongoing dialogue in our communities or on the air about the corrosive effect of violence. It was not what he, what people saw of him on the air that will drive them, it’s what they read in blog sites, and what they see in video games. It’s that kind of stuff that I think is cancerous. And I’m a free speech absolutist, but I think that at the same time, we have to have free speech in some kind of a context. And part of that context is a discussion of the possible effects of it.


Read more here.

No comments: