Sunday, September 2, 2007

In summary

Note: I'm on a friend's computer- I'll post more photos later.

I usually leave the events on Sunday, because by this point, I'm so tired and like having labor day to decompress. The 76th Independent Battilion is throwing a shindig over here, so I'll get some pics from that as well.

The good: I met the guys who created Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I saw Kevin Sorbo, John de Lancie, who played Q in Star Trek The Next Generation, the original Hulk, and various other celebeties on the Walk of Fame. The Dealer's Room was a bizarre bazaar of pop. retro, tech sci fi novelty and other gadgets- like Spencer's on Steroids. The art display had some good stuff and some serious security. The costumes- just beautiful. These people really know how to have a good party.

Oh, and the upcoming "Age of Conan" MMO looks amazing. I don't know if it will unseat "World of Warcraft" but it will put butts in computer chairs.

The bad: Con food is expensive and the larger crowds don't seem to jibe with the fire codes in Georgia. As far as attendance, people were throwing some crazy numbers around- won't know until after the Con, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 35,000 people- which raises an interesting question: Can Dragon*Con sustain its current pace of growth with three hotels? The only other options, in my opinion, are to restrict the number of people who attend or opening up yet another hotel. How bad were the crowds? I saw at least two elevators that broke down and con staff did their best to keep the flow of traffic moving to keep from clogging up certain floors.

I expect to get some good columns and video out of this down the road.

1 comment:

Luke said...

A fair synopsis, I think - I was there. Incidentally, the very existence of this blog restores faith in the continued relevance of the newspaper into the heart of the information age.