Friday, September 7, 2007

Anime to check out : Death Note

As I've mentioned before, I'm an anime fan in addition to playing video games. In my mind, anime and video games pretty much go together like peas and carrots. Or biscuits and gravy, since we're in the South after all.

I've gotten a little behind in my anime watching, but the last series I finished recently was an awesome one. Death Note is about a super student, Light Yagami, who is generally bored with life but one day happens upon a little black notebook called a 'death note'. It was dropped, on purpose, into the human world by an equally bored Shinigami death god named Ryuk. Light discovers that any name written into the Death Note will cause that person to die and he vows to use his newfound "power" to rid the world of all evil. As more and more criminals begin dropping like flies, the Japanese police send for their secret weapon, a legendary detective known only as "L".

The story is interesting, the characters are compelling and the animation looks much nicer than some I've seen. The animators stuck very closely to the original manga (Japanese graphic novel) that this anime is based on and it is actually a short series with only 37 episodes. (Trust me on this one, many animes go up to 100 episodes easily and are still not finished!)

I watched the entire series as they were released in Japan but it has been licensed in the United States now, so any downloading of the series is illegal. However, you can purchase Death Note from Viz Media soon - they have announced that the first DVD will be available November 20, 2007.

Death Note - U.S. Official Anime Site.

No comments: